You are currently using an outdated browser. For the best viewing experience, please upgrade your browser here.
249 Waverley Road, Mount Waverley, VIC 3149

Do Not Give this One Gift to Cat Owners

During this time of the year, it’s common for people to bring gifts when visiting friends and family.

However, one gift you do not want to give to any households with cats are Lilies.

Lilies of any variety including Stargazer, Tiger, Japanese and Asiatic can be very deadly to cats if the flower, leaves or stems are eaten as they cause acute renal failure.

Cats that have nibbled even just a small amount of the plant can present for vomiting, salivation, lethargy and not wanting to eat. As the toxins in the lilies damage the kidneys, they may lose the ability to concentrate their urine or produce little to no urine which can be fatal. Interestingly enough, lilies are not toxic to dogs.

There are no known antidotes for lily toxicity. The treatment is largely supportive- cats that are showing signs of illness will be hospitalized and placed on intravenous fluids until they stabilize, a process that can take days to weeks.

And so when you go to the florist this year, remember no lilies for friends with cats. If you have a cat at home and you receive lilies, take them and throw them away as prevention is definitely better than cure!